This £14million 10,000-seater stadium was built on a brownfield site as a home for Colchester Football Club. It was funded as a joint venture with the local authority to act as a multi-purpose community facility.
Since completion, the facility has received a number of accolades including the 2009 Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors East of England ‘Project of the Year’ award. We had to consider how best to integrate the designs into the existing transport infrastructure, while maximising energy efficiency and minimising light pollution.
This was one of the first sporting facilities we helped develop, with later projects including St Mirren Park and cricket clubs.
- A fully integrated emergency control room and system enabling automatic safety announcements and manual match commander control
- Standard power, heating lighting and ventilation systems
- Crowd counting
- Rainwater recovery, providing 50% pitch irrigation
- Heat recovery ventilation units, high efficiency heat exchangers
- High efficiency boilers and water heaters
- Heat recovery air conditioning in densely occupied hospitality areas
- Private automatic control system with Building Energy Management (BEM) software
- Occupational lighting detection
- Photocell and timeclock control for external lighting
- Standby generator and uninterruptible power system
- Delivered on time, on budget
- Reduced running costs
- Improved efficiency
- Reduced emissions
- Improved safety
- Legislative compliance
- Client recognition and reward